- First: Read about Windsonde! You can find a directory to all the information on the home page. We recommend starting with World Rules and Information. Second: Submit the following application for membership, using the "Join Our Group" button on the home page (not a Note!), which must include all elements listed.
- 1. Select at least three of your works that you feel demonstrate proficiency in the following areas:
- Proper animal anatomy: This is a big deal. Proper anatomy can make or break an illustration and while gryphons aren’t living creatures they consist of animals that you can actively reference. “Style” is no excuse for bad anatomy and the best stylized art works with altering proper anatomy. We recommend including a piece that demonstrates some understanding of bird wing anatomy if you have one. Basic construction of environments/perspective: Composition is important when illustrating a scene (such as those our challenges require). How an environment is constructed, the perspective on that environment and the subjects in it, and the use of negative space are all key elements in illustration. Clean, careful work: These works show that you spent time with any line-work in the illustration and worked carefully, not sloppily, on the elements within the image. This means avoiding overly sketchy lines, coloring within the lines, and defining details properly. Color Theory: You don’t have to be a master of color theory, but showing that you understand the basics is important. Color use that ranges beyond highly saturated colors and demonstrates an understanding of value is what we are looking for. Trees are NOT poo brown color. Grass is not bright, uniform green. Please eyedrop off photographs if this is confusing to you - you will see that real colors are not always what you expect and change with lighting and environment! Shading and highlights: Even if you do this unconventionally with Photoshop's various tools (not just burn/dodge or multiply), we'd like some light sources to be depicted. Gryphons have depth and texture as do their environments. Demonstrate to us that you understand how to give your characters and environments depth. Just because you CAN put shading on something does not mean you can do it correctly - please review your work to ensure depth is represented properly.
- Once your membership application is approved, request a gryphon combination HERE!. Please specify if you are requesting a Tookie Islander.
- A full view of your character
- Aery Name: Character Name: Character Species Combination: Be specific please. Scientific names are encouraged. Rank: All characters begin as a "Young Gryphon" (or "Young Tookie" for Tookie Islanders). Gender: Character Personality:
Challenges: All challenges require art (traditional or digital) for their completion. This means the work needs to follow the standards outlined above. Pieces can illustrate a scene from the challenge or depict a comic-strip of what happens. Challenges also have NO DEADLINE. Challenges can be done at your very own pace!
Number of Characters: You may not request a second character until your first character has completed at least 3 challenges. The same goes for a Tookie Islander. However, you may have a regular gryph and a Tookie Islander at the same time. Note: all additional characters/sheets still require the above information to be accepted.